Effective as at: 1 February 2021
Scope and Consent
This Privacy Notice describes
- The personal information we collect and how we use that information;
- When we might disclose your personal information; and
- How we keep and protect your personal information.
It applies to this Site and to any Services where this Privacy Notice is referenced.
KiwiAds is responsible for the collection, use, disclosure, retention and protection of your personal information under our global privacy standards and applicable national laws. KiwiAds may transfer data to Related Companies as described in this Privacy Notice who may process and keep your personal information on servers in New Zealand, Australia, the European Union, United States and elsewhere in the world where our data centres are located. Where we disclose your information to Related Companies located overseas your information is protected by our global privacy standards called Binding Corporate Rules (BCRs). Where we disclose your information to other third parties that are located overseas, or where your information is held in our overseas servers, we will take reasonable steps to ensure that your personal information is protected in accordance with law.
What is Personal Information?
“Personal information” is information or an opinion about an identified individual, or an individual who is reasonably identifiable, either from the information directly or from that information combined with other information that we have, or are likely to have, access to. Personal information doesn’t include de-identified, anonymous or aggregated information that can no longer be used to identify a specific person.
Public information is any information, including personal information, you share with a public audience, including personal information you publish on our Site. Public information is available to anyone on or off our Services and can be seen or accessed through online search engines, APIs, and offline media, such as on TV.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
We can change this Privacy Notice at any time by posting the updated terms to the Site. The updated terms automatically take effect 14 days after they are posted. We may announce any changes to this Privacy Notice on our Site and/or via email if we believe they are material.
Global Privacy Standards
KiwiAds is a part of Yosif Limited company. Yosif Limited is a New Zealand-based company number 4909159 with GST#113242329. Yosif Limited is our commitment to protect your personal information and honour our privacy obligations within our corporate family. More information about our Yosif Limited, please visit http://app.companiesoffice.govt.nz/co/4909159.
We collect the information you give us including:
- When you register for an account: Information such as your name, addresses, telephone numbers, email addresses or user ID (where applicable) when you register for an account with us
- When we verify you or your account: we may collect and process information (as permitted by law) to authenticate you or your account, or to verify the information that you provided to us
- When you transact on or use our Services: such as when you post an ad, reply to an ad, communicate with us or other users, information you provide for the Services that you use or during a transaction or other transaction-based content. We may also collect your financial information (such as credit card or bank account numbers) if you buy a feature from us or are required to pay fees to us
- When you engage with our community: such as when you submit a web form or participate in community discussions or chats
When you interact with your account: such as updating or adding information to your account, adding items to alerts lists and saving searches. Sometimes you may also give us your age, gender, interests and favourites
- When you contact us: such as through a web form, chat or dispute resolution or when we otherwise communicate with each other. We may also record our calls with you (if we have your consent to do so)
- When you submit your resume: such as if you choose to submit your resume to advertisers on our site for consideration
We collect information automatically including:
- Information from the devices you use when interacting with us or our Services such as device ID or unique user ID, device type, ID for advertising and unique device token
- Information about your location such as geo-location
- Google Maps: if you provide your business address when you create a listing, we may display the address on a map (Google Maps), in your respective listings. For this purpose, we transmit the address data to external service providers such as Google Ireland Limited for the use of Google Maps (please refer to Google's Privacy Notice https://policies.google.com/privacy). If a user does not want their location details to be shown on a map in their respective listings, they can contact KiwiAds customer service at any time at support@KiwiAds.co.nz
- Computer and connection information such as statistics on your page views, traffic to and from the sites, referral URL, ad data, your IP address, your browsing history and your web log information
We collect information using cookies, web beacons and similar technologies including:
- Information about the pages you view, the links you click and other actions you take on our Services, or within our advertising or email content. For more information about our use of these technologies and how to control them, see our notice on Cookies Policy.
Information we collect from other sources including:
- Information we get from our Related Companies which we use in order to provide you with value-added services as well as market our Services to you which may be of interest to you, for instance, where we may be able to offer you services that you appear interested in but are not available from our Related Companies. We may also use your personal information that we have collected from our Related Companies in order to manage your account, run internal analytics and develop business strategies across our associated brands
- Information we get from third parties which we may use to supplement your account information. For example, we may collect and use demographic information that is publicly available, additional contact information, credit check information and information from credit bureaus, as allowed by applicable national laws
- Information from social media sites when you use those sites to register, share information or connect to your account. Those sites may automatically give us access to some personal information they hold about you (e.g., content you viewed, content you liked, and information about the advertisements you were shown or clicked on, etc.). If you give us access to any account with video content, we may share your video viewing with, or collect information about your video viewing from, third-party social media sites for at least two years or until you withdraw consent. You control the personal information we have access to through your privacy settings on the social media site and the permissions you give us when you grant us access. When you grant us access to information held by social media sites you agree that we may collect, use and retain it in accordance with this Privacy Notice
- Information other users may provide about you. If another user gives us information about you, they must tell you about our collection, use, disclosure and retention policies before giving us the information. They must also get your explicit consent before giving us your information
Use and Retention
We use your personal information to provide, improve and personalise our Services
Your personal information allows us to:
- Provide you with access to and use of our Services as well as access to your history, internal messages and other features we may provide
- Offer you site content that includes items and services that you may like
- Provide you with credit offers and opportunities on behalf of our Related Companies and their financial institution partners. However, we don’t share financial information without your explicit consent
- Customise, measure and improve our Services and those of our Related Companies
- Provide other services requested by you as described when we collect the information, including those of our Related Companies if applicable
- To provide you with location-based services (such as advertising, search results and other personalised content)
We use your personal information to contact you about your account:
We may contact you via KiwiAds Messages, email, telephone, SMS messages or postal mail:
- To give you customer support about your account such as to troubleshoot problems, to resolve a dispute, to collect fees or monies owed to us, or to get your opinion through surveys
We use your personal information to personalise our advertising and marketing, including to:
- Personalise, measure and improve our advertising and that of our Related Companies
- Contact you, either via email, telephone, SMS text messages or postal mail to offer you discounts and special promotions and to let you know about our Services and those of our Related Companies (if you have consented to this contact). Message and data rates may apply
- Deliver targeted marketing, service updates and promotional offers, including in relation to our Related Companies
We use your personal information for legal compliance reasons, including to:
- Prevent, detect, mitigate and investigate fraud, security breaches, potentially prohibited or illegal activities
Retention of personal information:
Marketing Communications. If you don’t want to receive marketing communications from us, you can unsubscribe via the link in the email you received. Registered users may also unsubscribe via the communication preferences options in their profiles.
Push Notifications. Upon download of certain Services, you are provided the option to opt into receiving push notifications from KiwiAds on your device and within the application. We send you push notifications from time-to-time to (a) inform you of Service-related messages, (b) communicate messages from others in the KiwiAds community and (c) update you about any events or promotions that we or our Related Companies may be running. If you no longer wish to receive notifications from us, you can, where applicable, change your preferences by logging into your account or by disabling notifications in your device settings. To ensure you receive proper notifications, we will need to collect certain information about your device such as operating system and user identification information.
- You can see, review and change your personal information by signing in to your account. Please update your personal information immediately if it changes or is inaccurate.
- Once you make a public posting, you may not be able to change or remove it. If you ask us to, we will close your account and remove your personal information from view as soon as reasonably possible, based on your account activity and as required under applicable national laws.
We will honour your right to request access to, or modification or deletion of, your personal information. We may have the right to withhold that access or refuse to modify or erase your personal information under applicable national laws, but we will give you reasons if we do so. To contact us about access and to find out if any fees apply, please contact Customer Service or by using the contact details in the Contact Us page.
We may disclose your information to third parties:
- Third-party financial institution partners who may offer financial products to you, for them to provide joint content and services (such as registration, transactions and customer support). These third-party financial institution partners will use your personal information to send you marketing communications only if you have requested their services
- Other third parties when you have given consent to share your information via KiwiAds
We may disclose your information to law enforcement and other parties in connection with the law, including:
- Law enforcement or governmental agencies, or authorised third-parties, in response to a verified request regarding a criminal investigation, alleged or suspected illegal activity, or any other activity that may expose us, you or any of our users to legal risk
- Credit agencies or bureaus as authorised by applicable national laws
- Third parties commencing, or involved in, a legal proceeding if they provide us with a subpoena, court order or similar legal document
Change of ownership
If we were to merge with or be bought by another company, we may share information with them in accordance with our global privacy standards. The new combined entity would comply with this Privacy Notice. If your personal information is to be collected, used, disclosed or retained for any purposes not covered in this Privacy Notice, you will receive advance notice of any changes to the processing of your personal information.
We protect your information using technical and administrative security measures. Our safeguards include firewalls and data encryption, physical access controls to data centres and information access authorisation controls. If you believe your account has been abused, please contact our Customer Service.
What are copyright policies?
All sort of products are offered for sale on KiwiAds. Rights owners, such as the owners of copyright, trademark rights or other intellectual property rights can request the removal of any advertisements which may infringe on their intellectual property rights.. If a legal representative of a rights owner reports this to us in the correct manner, products infringing intellectual property rights will be removed by KiwiAds.
These policies are based on RNZSPCA principles
The KiwiAds Pets section exists to help the community find safe, caring homes for pets.
The KiwiAds Pets section is NOT intended to facilitate uncontrolled or irresponsible breeding, irresponsible commercial pet trading, trade of dogs or any other animal for the purpose of fighting or stud services. Any ads reported to us for promoting this kind of activity will be removed. Users are responsible for complying with KiwiAds’s policies about adopting, buying or selling a pet and posting an ad on KiwiAds.
KiwiAds is a community site and we rely on your feedback to keep the site friendly and safe. We like to think of it as you, the KiwiAds community, ’policing’ the site and keeping out the bad guys. So, in each ad you will find a Report ad button. You can use this button to report ads which you believe promote uncontrolled/unsafe/unethical/irresponsible breeding practices and we will take a look.
In our continuous commitment to animal welfare, animal rights and responsible pet ownership, we have the following rules in the Pets category on KiwiAds:
Policies for ALL posters:
While some states may not require it, KiwiAds encourages all pet owners to have their animals checked with a vet, vaccinated and microchipped before they are advertised on KiwiAds. If you are selling a microchipped pet, microchipping documentation should be provided to the buyer.
In accordance with RNZSPCA guidelines, the following information must be included in the description of your advertisement (if it is not otherwise being provided as part of the advertisement):
- Vaccination status: vaccinated or unvaccinated
- Desexed status: desexed or entire
- Health Status: has the animal undergone a veterinary check in the last 12 months? (Yes or No)
- Breeder Registration Number (or similar identification): This requirement varies in different jurisdictions (for example, some jurisdictions have a mandatory dog breeder register). If unsure, you should check with the relevant local authority.
- Sex: male or female
- Expected Adult Size: very small, small, medium, large or very large
All ads should include an accurate date of birth for the animal. Animals must be of a certain age before they can be sold or made available for adoption, as they must be self-sufficient - i.e. they must be able to feed themselves, independently. Please find below our policy as to the minimum required age a specific animal must be before it can be sold or made available for adoption. We strictly enforce these policies as part of our commitment to animal welfare. You can post your ad before the minimum required age as long as you ensure to include the date the animal will be available for adoption/rehoming/sale in your ad description. If the attribute corresponding to the date of birth is not otherwise included in the process of creating your ad, please ensure it is accurately and clearly described in your ad description.
Minimum required age:
- Cats and Dogs: must be at least 8 weeks old
- Rabbits: must be at least 8 weeks old
- Guinea Pigs, Mice and Rats: must be at least 4 weeks old
- Birds: must be fully feathered
- Ferrets: must be at least 10 weeks old
No holding deposits are allowed.
Frequency of breeding should be based on veterinary advice. Breeding females should not be made to breed more than once in a 12-month period; this is considered unhealthy
The following breeds of dog cannot be advertised on KiwiAds:
- Pit Bull Terriers;
- American Pit Bull Terriers;
- Dogo Argentino (Argentinean fighting dogs);
- Fila Brasileiro (Brazilian fighting dogs);
- Japanese Tosas;
- MiPerro de Presa Canario;
- Dogs that have been declared as a dangerous dog under any state law or regulatory guidance; and
- dogs used or intended to be used as commercial security dogs.
When you use a social login:
- If you sign in to your social network account using the same email that you previously used to register for an account with us, you will access your existing account with us.
- If you sign in to your social network account using an email address that we don’t recognise in our systems, a new account will be created in our systems for you.
You may use social login or regular sign in each time you login into your account with us. If you use regular sign in but a password has not been issued to you (because you registered through social login) you need to get a password through the password reset flow.
When you use social login the “keep me signed in” policies of the social network provider apply. We do not control those policies. For your safety we recommend that you:
- Don’t use social login if you are accessing our Services using a public or shared device
- Visit your social network provider site to learn about their sign in policies and your options
Unwanted or threatening email
Third-party privacy practices
This Privacy Notice addresses only the use and disclosure of personal information we collect from you. If you disclose your information to others, or if you are directed to a third party website, their privacy notices and practices will apply.
We can’t guarantee the privacy or security of your information once you provide it to a third party. You should check the privacy and security policies of your trading partner before entering into a transaction and choosing to share your information, even when dealing with buyers or sellers on our site.
Questions or Complaints
For questions about this Privacy Notice or our privacy practices:
you can reach the Global Privacy Office:
- Through the Contact Us link
- In writing at KiwiAds, Attn: Legal – Global Privacy Office, 53A Pomaria Road, Henderson, Auckland 0610, New Zealand;
Or contact us at:
If you have an unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact us.
Contact Customer Service
If you're looking for more help or have a question to ask, please contact our help desk.